The Rural Tourism Professional Development Scholarship provides up to $500 to help rural tourism professionals learn and improve their skills. Professional development opportunities include, but are not limited to:
- marketing courses
- digital or social media conferences
- business development workshops
- technical skills training
Due to COVID-19, we postponed applications from July 1, 2020 to June 30, 2021. Check back for updates or sign up for Colorado Tourism Office email updates.
To apply for this scholarship, you need to:
- be a resident of Colorado
- be involved in the tourism industry
- not have received a professional development scholarship from the Colorado Tourism Office with 12 months before the application deadline
- identify a professional development opportunity that takes places before the application deadline
Eligible expenses include:
- full or partial registration to attend a tourism-related conference, course, or training (not including the Colorado Governor’s Tourism Conference)
- lodging and mileage
Colorado Tourism Office email updates to stay informed on this program.Applications are not currently being accepted. Please sign up for the
The application period opens twice a year in summer and winter.
Apply online through the OEDIT application portal. Log in or create a new account. New users are manually added to the portal for security reasons, so it may take several days to activate your account.
The questions below are only a reference and do not include all of the information you need to include in the application. For each narrative question response, there is a limit of 2,500 characters including spaces and punctuation.
- Describe the professional opportunity you wish to pursue.
- Why are you passionate about the tourism industry in rural Colorado?
- How would this professional development opportunity support your tourism-related career goals?
- How do you hope to use this knowledge to help tourism in your region?
- Provide a statement of financial need.
You will need to provide:
- a resume
- one to three letters of support from an associated tourism-related organization/business or an industry colleague
This is a competitive award program, and not all applicants receive the scholarship. A panel of industry partners and Colorado Tourism Office staff reviews applications and recommends awards based on application scores and available funds. The panel reviews applications on these criteria:
You will need to show:
- qualifications, background, and experience of the applicant
- overall strength of the application request with clear logic and adequate details of past work and needs
- letters of support
You will need to show measurable benefits for the individual and rural Colorado tourism industry.
Financial Need (10%)
You will need to demonstrate a high degree of financial need.
The Colorado Tourism Office will reimburse your for the scholarship amount after you:
- successfully complete the conference, course, or training
- submit expense receipts
- submit a final report that the Colorado Tourism Office reviews and accepts
Within 30 days of completing the professional development opportunity, you need to submit:
- readable invoices, proof of payment, and itemized expense receipts that show the date of the expense
- a final report to describe what you accomplished with the scholarship