The Colorado Tourism Office’s International Program promotes Colorado to international travelers, using representatives in target markets to advertise and pitch Colorado’s unique offerings to potential travelers through media, travel trade and consumer campaigns.
The international traveler is Colorado’s highest-value traveler, staying longer and spending more per person than any other tourist. The CTO currently has marketing representation in Australia, France, Germany, Mexico and the UK, who work in-market bring back Colorado’s international visitors.
The International Team evaluates several factors when choosing target markets:
- Analysis of market trends through visitation and spend data
- Connectivity and support of established and potential nonstop flights to DEN
- Strategic relationships in-market to build program activities for Colorado destination partners' needs
The in-market representatives focus on three main segments: Consumer, Media/PR, and Travel Trade (tour operators & travel agents). Our goal is to:
- Recover the amount of travel spend by international visitors to Colorado
- Increase the average length of stay of overseas visitors to Colorado
- Create general awareness of Colorado as a four-season premier travel destination
- Generate coverage of Colorado in magazines, TV, radio and newspapers, and digital outlets internationally
- Develop and grow Colorado contracted hotel product for bookings from tour operators
Programs, Initiatives & Opportunities
Translate your Promotional Materials into other languages: The Colorado Tourism Office's international representatives can translate your marketing pieces at a discounted rate.
Host International Familiarization Tours (FAMs): One of the best and least expensive ways of being involved with international tourism is hosting international media and travel trade in your destination.
Build your Lodging Inventory for international travelers: Receptive tour operators are wholesalers of tourism products who create packages to market to tour operators worldwide. These operators play a major role in getting your destination into tour itineraries globally, which expands your reach and audience considerably.
Brand USA Partnerships: We provide co-op opportunities through Brand USA (the USA’s Destination Marketing Organization) for partners around the state.
International Trade Shows: US-based shows include the Go West Summit, IPW, and the International Inbound Travel Association (IITA) Summit.
International Co-ops: We provide a variety of international co-op opportunities with major tour operators through our international representatives.
International Sales Missions: The CTO arranges sales and media missions to our target international markets. Opportunities vary year-to-year and participation is limited.