The Global Consultant Network helps Colorado-based small businesses expand into other countries. Consulting services typically last between three and eight months.
Consultants offer these services:
Consultants can help your business in these countries: Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Mexico, the Netherlands, Philippines, Spain, Thailand, and the United Kingdom.
Consultants offer these services to help your company enter a new country market:
- market entry strategy: assess your company’s best options for entering the market and give you information on packaging requirements, standard mark-up or commission for distributors or representatives; payment terms, stocking quantities, warehousing options and/or foreign trade zones, International Chamber of Commerce Terms (Incoterms), delivery times, and transportation management
- competition analysis: analyze up to five of your company’s top competitors in the target market, pricing, and current trends among the competition
- market trends: summarize current trends in the target market related to your company's industry, such as new technologies, regulations, import fees, and more
- market research: find local resources including publications, trade shows, associations, and advertising opportunities
- professional services: identify professionals that your company might need in the country, including lawyers, accountants, realtors, etc.
- tariffs and duties: identify likely tariffs and duties that may apply to your business and calculate the landed costs for your company’s product
- regulations: research relevant legislation and regulations in the target county
- partner research: vet and suggest private and/or public sector contacts as potential partners for your company in the target market, including distributors, sales representatives, agents, customers, joint venture partners, and government officials
- partner outreach: interview and screen the list of potential partners to discuss their interest in working with your company
Consultants offer these services to help your company with in-country partner meetings in another country:
- scheduling and logistics: identify a list of prospects for review and schedule appointments with contacts that your company has already identified in the target market and arrange transportation, lodging, and interpretation
- on-site trade show support: help your company set up and work your booth at a trade show and walk the show floor with you
To be eligible, your company needs to:
- manufacture an advanced technology and influence one or more of Colorado’s advanced industries (see below)
- have headquarters in Colorado or have at least 50% of your employees based in Colorado
- employ fewer than 200 employees globally
- be new to export or expanding to a new export market
- have at least two years of sales experience in the United States
- be registered with the Colorado Secretary of State and in Good Standing
- have a commercialized product or service to export
- be export-ready (see below)
An advanced industries technology is defined by law as a technology or product that is innovative and disruptive to one of these seven advanced industries:
- advanced manufacturing
- energy and natural resources (including cleantech)
- infrastructure engineering
- technology and information
Global Business Development staff evaluates export readiness based on your company’s ability to:
- meet new customer demand
- provide customer service to foreign buyers
- follow export regulations and certifications
Global Consultant Network applications are open year-round and have a rolling deadline, meaning Global Business Development (GBD) staff will review applications as they are received.
Apply online in the OEDIT application portal. Log in to your account or create a new account. To protect your personal information, we manually add new users to the portal, so it may take several days to activate your account.
GBD staff will review your company’s completed application. If the application is approved, your company will then be connected with your consultant.