The Tourism Social Media Co-op promotes destinations across Colorado to residents and visitors through owned social media channels. Since social media can be a challenge for some participants, a representative from the Colorado Tourism Office will support you through the process of content creation and tailoring messaging to the needs of target audiences.
We offer different options:
- paid social media co-op with a fund match opportunity
- Instagram takeover program
Program benefits include:
- measurement strategies and tools
- affordable custom opportunities
- existing Colorado Tourism Office brand affinity
- customized report of your results, with ongoing optimizations
- access to agency creative services
- traffic driven directly to your website
- evolved opportunities to reach targeted audience segments and further drive impact and efficiencies
- Colorado Tourism Office matching funds
The Colorado Tourism Office hosted an informational webinar about the Social Media Co-op. Watch a recording of the webinar.
To become eligible you will need to:
- follow Colorado Tourism Office brand standards and photography guidelines
- inform flighting, messaging, and imagery considerations
- review and approve all creative before launch
- have creative that links directly to your website
Please note: This program is meant to drive awareness and site traffic to Colorado destinations. Should there be more applicants than available spots, Domestic Marketing Organizations (DMOs) will be given priority.
Once a week, the Colorado Tourism Office promotes an industry partner’s content through the Visit Colorado Facebook page for up to three days. You must invest at least $1,000, and there is no maximum investment. The CTO will match your investment up to $2,500.
There is no management fee, and 100% of investment goes to your media purchase. You can sign up twice every year in the early fall and early spring. Spots are limited. To receive updates about the matching grant, contact the program manager below.
Content can be anything you want to feature that will draw attention to your destination. You should know your brand, your target audience, and what type of information about your destination will resonate with them. The content should not resemble an advertisement, more like an advertorial.
Video can be expensive and time consuming to create but is great for engagement. We recommend sharing a short 30-second to 2-minute short feature. Content must be relevant and tailored for social media, not just be commercials. Please share original video files and not just links to videos that live on other platforms (i.e. YouTube), as sharing links to video platforms outside of Facebook can diminish reach. Video ideas include:
- how-to videos
- tour of your area or business
- inspirational content
Blog Post and Web Content
Blog posts are the most common type of content we promote. We recommend that you host the post on your website. Content ideas include:
- a list or article about upcoming events
- must-experience activities around your destination
- top 10 things to do in your area
- a timely article about an upcoming event or limited-time experience/exhibit
If you have other content that you think would work, the Colorado Tourism Office is open to discussing it. We will need to approve your content. We recommend that you contact the program manager below before creating content specifically for this program.
Ineligible content includes content:
- not related to tourism
- for promotions, deals, business listings, and sales
- that applies to a very small subset of an audience – to use dollars efficiently, content must apply to a larger audience (over 500,000)
How to participate
You will need to follow this process:
- Decide upon budget/investment and program goals (clicks, engagement, awareness, etc.) You will need to spend at least $1,000. There is no maximum spend. We will match your funds up to $2,500.
- Apply through our online form. Applications are first-come, first-served and close quickly.
- Create a relevant piece of content. To maximize engagement, the Colorado Tourism Office will give feedback on the content, and reserves the right to determine if the content fits the program.
- Provide preference on your target audience, considering age, geolocation and interests relevant to your message (hiking, biking, foodie, parent). We can also provide suggestions on targeting based on ad tools and performance of other paid campaigns/co-ops.
- The Colorado Tourism Office will post the approved message in the Visit Colorado Facebook feed and tag your account as a branded partner.
- We will create and manage a paid media campaign boosting that content with your goals in mind.
Custom reports will be delivered following each co-op post including:
- campaign summary (dates, targeting, etc.)
- top-line results (reach, likes, clicks to site, etc.)
- details on the effects of paid support
- successes and suggestions for future optimizations based on performance insights
Destinations and certain organizations have the opportunity to create content to live on the Visit Colorado Instagram account. There are two tier options for partner Instagram content:
- TIER 1: Partners who opt into tier 1 will have full access to @visitcolorado's Instagram account.
- A custom password will be provided, giving you access to manage all posts and stories content on the account for the duration of your takeover.
- Takeovers will last 3 days and will occur no more than 1x per week.
- Full account takeovers must adhere to rules and guidelines provided, and we reserve the tight to ask you to remove or edit any content shared on our feed or stories.
- TIER 2: Partners who opt into tier 2 will have a custom 3-4 panel stories asset customized using a template designed with Colorado branding.
- Partner will provide suggested messaging/talking points, as well as preferred image options.
- We will deliver custom creative for partner review and approval and manage posting on mutually agreed upon dates.
- Stories will be live on @visitcolorado for 24 hours.
Both tier options require an investment. Email the program manager below to learn more about these opportunities.