The Tourism Social Media Co-op promotes destinations across Colorado to residents and visitors through owned social media channels. Since social media can be a challenge for some participants, a representative from the Colorado Tourism Office will support you through the process of content creation and tailoring messaging to the needs of target audiences.
We offer different options:
- paid social media co-op with a fund match opportunity
- Instagram takeover program
Program benefits include:
- measurement strategies and tools
- affordable custom opportunities
- existing Colorado Tourism Office brand affinity
- customized report of your results, with ongoing optimizations
- access to agency creative services
- traffic driven directly to your website
- evolved opportunities to reach targeted audience segments and further drive impact and efficiencies
- Colorado Tourism Office matching funds
Custom reports will be delivered following each co-op including:
- campaign summary (dates, targeting, etc.)
- top-line results (reach, likes, clicks to site, etc.)
- details on the effects of paid support
- successes and suggestions for future optimizations based on performance insights
The Colorado Tourism Office hosted an informational webinar on Tuesday, February 28, 2023. To view a recording of the webinar, please click here.
Type: Marketing promotion
For: Tourism partners
Application period: Currently closed. Next opening is October 2023.
OEDIT division: Colorado Tourism Office
Applications open twice a year, and you can apply directly through the industry site here. Applications are currently closed. The next application period will be in October 2023 for the winter co-ops (November - March).
You can also email email@example.com if you have any questions about the program, or to ensure you're included on any enrollment period communication in the future.
To become eligible you will need to:
Identify as a DMO or tourism-related business/organization. (please note that State agencies outside of OEDIT are not eligible to participate in the CTO co-op program)
Follow Colorado Tourism Office brand standards and photography guidelines.
Inform flighting, messaging, and imagery considerations.
Review and approve all creative before launch.
Have creative that links directly to your website.
Please note: This program is meant to drive awareness and site traffic to Colorado destinations. Should there be more applicants than available spots, Domestic Marketing Organizations (DMOs) will be given priority.
Once a week, the Colorado Tourism Office promotes an industry partner’s content through the Visit Colorado Facebook page for up to three days. You must invest at least $1,000, and there is no maximum investment. The CTO will match your investment up to $2,500.
There is no management fee, and 100% of investment goes to your media purchase. You can sign up twice every year in the fall and spring. Spots are limited.
Content can be anything you want to feature that will draw attention to your destination. You should know your brand, your target audience, and what type of information about your destination will resonate with them. The content should not resemble an advertisement, and should be more like an advertorial.
Video can be expensive and time consuming to create but is great for engagement. We recommend sharing a short 30-second to 2-minute short feature. Content must be relevant and tailored for social media, not commercials. Please share original video files and not links to videos that live on other platforms (i.e. YouTube), as sharing links to video platforms outside of Facebook can diminish reach. Video ideas include:
- how-to videos
- tour of your area or business
- inspirational content
Blog Post and Web Content
Blog posts are the most common type of content we promote. We recommend that you host the post on your website. Content ideas include:
- a list or article about upcoming events
- must-experience activities around your destination
- top 10 things to do in your area
- a timely article about an upcoming event or limited-time experience/exhibit
If you have other content that you think will work, the Colorado Tourism Office is open to discussing it. We will need to approve your content. We recommend that you contact the program manager below before creating content specifically for this program.
Ineligible content includes content:
- not related to tourism
- for promotions, deals, business listings, and sales
- that applies to a very small subset of an audience – to use dollars efficiently, content must apply to a larger audience (over 500,000)
Co-op partners have the opportunity to create content to live on the Visit Colorado Instagram account. There are two tier options for partner Instagram content:
TIER 1: Instagram Takeover - Partners will have the opportunity for their content to be featured on the @visitcolorado Instagram account.
- Partners will provide the content (photos, videos) they want to feature on Instagram.
- Takeovers will last 3 days and will occur no more than 1x per week.
- Investment: $1,000
- Estimated Impressions: 5,000,000
** Please note we have changed this process for Summer 2023. Participants will no longer be given a password and full access to the @visitcolorado Instagram page. Partners will provide us with their content, and we will post on behalf of the partner. This allows us to better assist all partners with developing the best content for Instagram and maintain the Visit Colorado brand voice across all content.
TIER 2: Instagram Stories - Partners who opt into tier 2 will have a custom 3-4 panel stories asset customized using a template designed with Colorado branding.
- Partner will provide suggested messaging/talking points, as well as preferred image options.
- We will deliver custom creative for partner review and approval and manage posting on mutually agreed upon dates.
- Stories will be live on @visitcolorado for 24 hours.
- Investment: $300
- Estimated Impressions: 15,000