Colorado Creative Industries Receives $827,800 from American Rescue Plan

DENVER —The National Endowment for the Arts (NEA) announced that Colorado Creative Industries (CCI) will receive $827,800 in the first round of federal funding through the American Rescue Plan (ARP). This emergency funding is designed to support Colorado’s creative sector from the devastating impact of the COVID-19. 

“President Biden’s administration provided much-needed relief to American families and industries through the American Rescue Plan, including support for the creative sectors,” said Governor Polis. “In Colorado, we share the President’s vision for supporting working families and America’s diverse industries, and look forward to our continued partnership with the Biden administration in support of the arts."

"On behalf of Colorado Creative Industries, we are deeply appreciative to our federal partners for this new funding from the American Rescue Plan,” said Margaret Hunt, Director of CCI. “Arts and culture play an important role in Colorado's economy and these funds will fuel industry recovery and we will emerge stronger than ever."

CCI staff members will review federal guidelines as it determines how best to use these funds to support the recovery of one of Colorado’s important economic sectors. Prior to the pandemic, the creative industries represented $31.6 billion in sales in 2019 and supported 191,248 jobs throughout the State. Colorado ranks number one in the percentage of residents who personally perform or create artworks, according to the National Endowment for the Arts' Participation Study.

“The arts are vital to Colorado’s economy and way of life. This much-needed funding will help sustain art organizations, support artists, and increase public access to the arts at a critical time,” said US Senator Michael Bennet. 

“Our talented creative class is an engine of Colorado’s economy and what makes Colorado great. These relief funds from the American Rescue Plan will help this key industry recover and rebuild,” said US Senator John Hickenlooper.

The funds allocated and distributed by the Arts Endowment represent 40 percent of the total allotment to the arts in the ARP. The remaining 60 percent of the ARP money will be awarded by the Arts Endowment directly to non-profit organizations to help support jobs in the arts sector, keep the doors open to arts organizations nationwide, and assist the field in its response to and recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic. 

On March 11, President Biden signed the American Rescue Plan, which includes funding for the National Endowment for the Arts to support organizations and jobs in the arts sector that have been impacted by the pandemic. The $135 million allocated for the Arts Endowment in this legislation represents a significant commitment to the arts and a recognition of the value of the arts and culture sector to the nation’s economy and recovery.

Sign up for updates about these funds

Sign up for email updates from Colorado Creative Industries.